WC Life

Discover WC

History

History

  • Battle of Brushy Creek Historical Marker
    Battle of Brushy Creek Historical Marker

    The Battle of Brushy Creek was a skirmish between Comanche raiders and a local militia near here in mid-winter 1839 that led to the last major battle between Anglo settlers and Indians in Williamson County.<... Read More >

  • Bill Pickett Historical Marker
    Bill Pickett Historical Marker

    Bill Pickett is publicly known as one of the many African-Americans who have made valuable contributions to Williamson County communities. Their stories, uncovered, reveal a wealth of history. Bill Pickett of Taylor represents one... Read More >

  • Double File Trail Historical Marker
    Double File Trail Historical Marker

    Laid out about 1828 by Delaware Indians, “The Double File Trail” got its name because two horsemen could ride it side by side. The Delawares carved this trace migrating ahead of expanding white settlements. They... Read More >

  • Founding of Georgetown Historical Marker
    Founding of Georgetown Historical Marker

    According to local tradition Williamson County’s first six commissioners met here under a stately oak tree in May 1848 to decide where the county seat should be located. Prominent local landowner George Washington Glasscock,... Read More >

  • Georgetown Heritage Society
    Georgetown Heritage Society

    The Georgetown Heritage Society’s mission is to preserve and promote interest in Georgetown’s heritage- it’s historic buildings and sites and the people associated with them, as well as the documents, pictures... Read More >

  • Heritage Oak Tree
    Heritage Oak Tree

    This 400-year-old majestic live oak tree is decorated with over 30,000 lights each year in December to kick off the holiday season. Located on Quest Blvd. in Cedar Park, this tree is 57 feet tall and... Read More >

  • Hutto Historic Preservation Commission
    Hutto Historic Preservation Commission

    The Hutto Historic Preservation Commission’s mission is to preserve the past and work with ongoing development in the community to support incentives for revitalization, protection of historic properties and structures, and provide education... Read More >

  • Kenney’s Fort Historical Marker
    Kenney’s Fort Historical Marker

    Dr. Thomas Kenney came to Brushy Creek in 1839 and built a fort. This was the first permanent settlement in what would become Williamson County nine years later. Kenney was befriended by the Native Americans,... Read More >

  • Leanderthal Lady Historical Marker
    Leanderthal Lady Historical Marker

    In 1982, archeologists uncovered the skeleton of a pre-historic human female at the Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Site. Carbon testing indicates the woman lived 10-13,000 years ago, and is one of the earliest intact burials uncovered... Read More >

  • Sam Bass Death Site
    Sam Bass Death Site

    Known as the “Texas Beloved Bandit” or “Robin Hood on a Fast Horse”, Sam Bass was known for robbing trains and banks. As a legend, the accounts of Sam’s life are as varied... Read More >

  • The Old Settlers Association of Williamson County
    The Old Settlers Association of Williamson County

    The Old Settlers Association of Williamson County was organized for the sole purpose of gathering fragments of history and to perpetuate them for future generations. The property features many exceptional amenities such as RV... Read More >

  • The Round Rock
    The Round Rock

    In 1851, on the banks of Brushy Creek, a small community was formed near a large, round rock located in the middle of the creek. This round rock marked a convenient low-water crossing for wagons,... Read More >

Considering Relocating?

Connect with Us